Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Well done, Mr. President

By Donald Sensing

I am listening to the president's address at Ft Hood on the radio - he just concluded - and I have to say it was outstanding.

The only grating note was when he spoke of the military exploits of his grandfather and other family members. It only served to highlight, however briefly, Obama's own lack of military experience and urge to inject himself into every occasion. But the moment passed quickly.

There was one line near the end that I cannot quote exactly, but it seemed very close to counting the slain and wounded as falling from an act of war. I don't think that the president actually was trying to do that, but the line struck me that way. I'll look it up when I get back to my desk, as I'm posting this via email from my Blackberry.

In all, a speech just about perfect for the occasion.

Update: Here's the line:

Here, at Fort Hood, we pay tribute to thirteen men and women who were not able to escape the horror of war, even in the comfort of home.
Full text of the address is not on the White House's web site, but may be found on Huffington Post. YouTube links are Part One and Part Two.