Loose Lips on Syria - WSJ.com:
To summarize keys points rather than excerpt verbatim - according to the Obama administration, speaking both with and without by-name attribution,
- US strikes against Syria could begin tomorrow and will be concluded by the weekend.
- Missiles only, with bombers maybe
- Not even 50 targets to be hit
- Targets include Syria's attack helicopters
- Jay Carney: "I want to make clear that the options that we are considering are not about regime change." Translation: We're not coming for you, Bashar, so don't worry. And by the way, you might want to fly those attack choppers off base, at least until next week.
- These strikes are about "doing something" about Assad's use of chemical weapons
- Meaning that they "are primarily about making a political statement, and vindicating President Obama's ill-considered promise of 'consequences,' rather than materially degrading Assad's ability to continue to wage war against his own people."
"Factors weighing into the timing of any action include a desire to get it done before the president leaves for Russia next week," reports CNN, citing a "senior administration official."Meaning this is really about nothing but Obama trying to look tough before he meets with Putin.
What a sad, pathetic man leads this country. . . .
Update: "The fierce urgency of bombing now!"