Might turn this into an occasional series - a short list of responses to something Glenn Reynolds posts. No doubt he will think, "I wish I had thought of that!"
HAVEN’T WE HAD ENOUGH OF THE ADMINISTRATION’S HATE-FILLED ELIMINATIONIST RHETORIC? Michelle Obama Says More Women Will Die if Romney’s Elected.
It's just one more example of the Dems' main campaign theme: "Republicans want you to die."
FLOTUS is not the first Dem to say Romney's election will kill people. Jonathan Alter already said it on MSNBC (where else?).
And then we had Alan Grayson (D.-Hatred) on the floor of the House in 2009 (still grabbed from this Youtube):
Since Obama cannot possibly run on his record, he must have asked himself, "What will voters think is worse for them than my second term?" Well, death, apparently. So Obama et. al. are telling the electorate that Romney will kill them. But voters know that killing them is not a winning political plan for the Republicans. Quite the opposite: the Republican campaign has an understanding something like this:
KIRSTEN POWERS: Why The Screwed Generation Is Turning To Paul Ryan. “While Democrats attack Ryan’s Medicare plan as ‘radical’ and portray him as pushing granny off the cliff, young people don’t seem to be buying this caricature. Or maybe ‘radical’ is what they want.”
The reason that young people aren't scared of Ryan's Medicare plan is that practically no young people think that Medicare (or Social Security) will be around when they reach their 60s. I mean that a lot (and I mean a lot) of young adults I have talked to do not think Medicare or S.S. will be there at all, in any form, not that it won't be there in its present form, no matter how furiously Joe Biden panders.
STUDENT EDITORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA’S NEWSPAPER have walked off the job and started a blog.
More here. “The student editorial staff of the University of Georgia’s The Red & Black newspaper walked out Wednesday evening after a non-student was named editorial director with final say on all editorial content.” You’d think that with higher education’s — and Georgia’s — budgetary problems, replacing student editors with permanent employees would be a bad idea. But as I’ve noted before, the tendency of universities to add permanent administrative employees willy-nilly is a major reason for the exploding costs in higher education. This empire-building is a natural tendency among bureaucrats, which is what university administrators are. If I were a Georgia taxpayer, however, I’d be pissed.
More here. “The student editorial staff of the University of Georgia’s The Red & Black newspaper walked out Wednesday evening after a non-student was named editorial director with final say on all editorial content.” You’d think that with higher education’s — and Georgia’s — budgetary problems, replacing student editors with permanent employees would be a bad idea. But as I’ve noted before, the tendency of universities to add permanent administrative employees willy-nilly is a major reason for the exploding costs in higher education. This empire-building is a natural tendency among bureaucrats, which is what university administrators are. If I were a Georgia taxpayer, however, I’d be pissed.
I am surprised that Glenn overlooks the most obvious reason for making the editor's job a staff position. It's not merely empire building, though that's a big part. It's mainly, I think, that increasingly, students there (and not just there) are rebelling against the deeply rooted Leftism of nearly all public-school administrations today.
The UGA administration just can no longer stomach those student reporters writing their own, "off the reservation" pieces, nor that the student editors don't quash them. That is simply intolerable.
From secret sources in Athens, Ga., I have obtained a photo of the new editor:
