Monday, April 22, 2013

Boston bombing to boost gun rights?

By Donald Sensing

USA TODAY Poll: Public support for gun control ebbs

This is to be expected as more time elapses since the Sandy Hook murders. However, "says Stuart Rothenberg, editor and publisher of the non-partisan Rothenberg Political Report,"

The Boston Marathon bombings last Monday also may have had an effect, he speculates. "It wouldn't be shocking if people sitting in their homes in Massachusetts cities and towns thought to themselves, 'Boy, I wish I had something to protect myself with if a terrorist came through the door now.'"
Well, yeah. And so are most of the people who watched Friday unfold on the televisions.

Update: Like this woman:
I’ve never owned a gun. I never wanted one in my home and, like a lot of moms, I wanted to raise non-violent children and thought keeping guns out of our home was one way to do that. ...

But all that changed early Friday morning. ...

Though the residents of Watertown (and the surrounding greater-Boston area) were held in a state of near-martial law, the best most of them could do was huddle in their homes, hoping the police would take their 3 a.m. call and come running to rescue them before the terrorist killed them. . . . I realized right then that if I were holed up in my house while a cold-blooded terrorist roamed my neighborhood, I wouldn’t want to be a sitting duck with only a deadbolt lock between me and an armed intruder.
Bookmark and Share