Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Signs of the Times

By Anonymous

Years ago, I worked on a community development project that wanted to put up clear signage (I did not even know it was a word let alone a community activist project) to help pedestrians locate important services like toilets or baby changing stations. I guess the theory was that you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows because there are plenty of good signage. [Is that like espionage?]














So, probably out of reflex, I try to pay attention to local signage where ever I go to know which way is which. Of course, some signs are more clear than others.








Some signs carry multiple meanings like "we use deadly bug killer here" as well as "Ha Ha, we now have an alternative labor supply that comes from Thailand where we can go to have fun and they can come here for jobs--and they won't try to kill us."



And finally some signs are extremely straightforward but it turns out that the Authority that erected them was not based in Israel.


Local sources inform me that the give away here are the last two words on the lower right. At least it does not explicitly say "Israelis will be shot on sight". But, note that it does not say "Blessed are the ones who come" nor does it translate the instructions into Thai. This is not good signage.

No comments: