Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Okay, this is funny

By Donald Sensing

Pity that the magazine as a whole, Mad, no longer is.

There was a post and discussion a few days ago at Bill Quick's site on what happened to Mad magazine. Wrote Bill,

...I remembered it fondly from when I was a kid.

Either it stayed the same and I changed, or else it changed to become nothing more than a propaganda comic book for every lefty cliche in existence, but after trying to read the first issue, I simply tossed the remaineder, unopened, into the trash.
My observation - why is is so filled with profanity now? In my youth, Mad was all clean and all funny. Now it’s nowhere clean and only rarely funny.

There’s a connection, of course. When did would-be humorists conclude that cussing is funny, and why?

My personal rebellion against this trend was to make a Hitler-bunker (Downfall) mashup that parodied all the other mashups, which were 99 percent crammed with profanity.

See it it here: Hitler Hates Cussing. Cussing is easy. Comedy is hard.

But Mad's first 100 minutes of Obama's tenure (a spoof of his first 100 days) is not entirely unfunny. There's this chuckle nugget:
38: [Mess] with Secret Service agents by shouting out, “Hey, it’s almost prayer time, which way is Mecca?!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometime between the 70s and the early 90s, MAD did indeed change. Once upon a time, MAD would happily offend everyone, with no cow too sacred. When I picked one up sometime in the 90s, I found it to be strictly orthodox lefty-Democrat material.
Perhaps the loss of Gaines made the difference?