Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tiger Woods admits transgressions

By Donald Sensing

After enduring intense media pressure to come clean about what led to his auto accident very early Friday morning, Tiger Woods has posted a statement on his web site admitting "transgressions" against his family.

I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.
There are four more paragraphs. No doubt Tiger expects this statement to kill media interest in his personal life, but he's basically just thrown four ounces of red meat to starving lions. As the old saying goes, Tiger, "You ain't seen nuthin' yet."

Since I used to develop media strategies in my former career (when I wans't blowing things up, which is more fun), had Tiger retained me as his media adviser I'd have advised him to stay quiet. All he needed to do was wait for something else to fill the news hole. Attention would have turned from him to something else.

He wrote on the site, "Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions." This is an incredibly naive thing to say. He might think that should be the case, and I agree it should, but it simply is not. Pandora'as box is open now, and the next few weeks will be very harsh for him.