It sometimes difficult for many Israelis and Americans to understand the importance of faith and religious purpose that brings people to Israel for reasons over and beyond economic or political gain. Two such visitors were in Israel last week and although acknowledged, the power and strength these forces have were woefully understated.
Kathy Ireland was in Israel to film a documentary on Sheba Medical Center. Plenty was made of her modelling career but only a passing glance was made to what she considers to be one of the most important forces behind her career and her loyality to Israel: her Christian faith.
Faith is central to Ireland’s attitude.
“As Christians, we have such a debt of gratitude to Israel and the Jewish people,” she explains. But, Ireland adds, there is also another kind of debt owed by the Christian world. “I’ve just come from Yad Vashem, and it’s horrific to think that this could happen just a few generations ago. Israel, which is a chain of generations, saw six million links in that chain destroyed. Look at the present dangers today and what could happen today if threats are not taken seriously, and what responsibility the rest of the world has.”
In Israel, last week, was another less well known visitor whose faith is no less important. In fact, if one was not careful, his arrival in Israel would have gone unnoticed. The entertainment section of the Jerusalem Post's weekend edition announced that Andrew Jr Boy Jones had come to give a series of Blues shows with the Ronnie Peterson Band.

I remember when Mr. Jones played guitar for Charlie Musselwhite back in 1990--powerful and tight performances--but there was something in the Post's story about him that made me sit up and take notice.
"Jones recalls his mother singing in a church choir and he keeps that tradition going to this day. 'Whenever I'm around, and I'm available, I play guitar at services at my local church,' he says. 'I don't know how religious I am but I belong to the Christian faith.' Mind you, when he's on the bandstand it's all strictly business. 'I don't bring politics or religion into my work. The music is mine, and I just want people to like the music.'"
I do a lot of interfaith work with Rabbi Riskin's The Center for Jewish Christian Understanding and Cooperation, which brings me into contact a lot of Christians in Israel, and I have worked as a hospital chaplain. Both have taught me the importance of "greeting the stranger" and how intensely Christians take their faith. So there was something about this little paragraph about Mr. Jones's faith that called out to be greeted and welcomed in a non-business way.
My wife turned to me and said, "Go. At some point during Mr. Jones's pilgrimage to the Holy Land, someone needs to welcome him and acknowledge why he is really here. And it isn't about the money. If you don't do it, who will?"

So, I drove north to see him perform in Haifa.
He was hot. Ronnie Peterson and the band who backed Mr. Jones were hot. The music was incredible.
But, the Post story had not quite got the story straight. Mr. Jones's faith is everywhere. It is in his songs, in his playing, and
even on his chest. There is no mistaking where his faith lies; from where he draws his strength to rise above the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune". The Gospel roots are strong in this Blues Man's heart and the energy radiates throughout his set.When the set was over, the crowd gathered to buy his CD and get his autograph, there was a pause while one of the roadies ran to get a pen. Taking my cue, I stepped up to Mr. Jones, identified myself, and greeted as befits a sojourner of faith.
"Welcome to God's Country," I said thinking he might return with a quip about Texas.
"Oh, yes! It's true. I can feel it. Thank you."
"Have you had a chance to see The Land? You really need to see the places mentioned in the Bible."
"No, I haven't yet," he said apologetically. "Yes, you're right; quite right. I need to go and see It. That's why I came. I'm going on Monday! I am so excited!"
He really was and deeply touched by the warm response he got in Haifa.
As a follow up, I drove to Beersheva to catch his performance a second time. My young photography partner, Arik, quipped, "it won't be the same, man. They're just going to play the same thing!"

He's correct, of course. Musicians like Mr. Peterson and Mr. Jones work through their numbers note by note knowing what and how they will play a given riff or lead. They memorize their performance lick for lick and maintain the illusion that everything is easy or improvised as they go.
In fact, like Sarah Palin, they make notes, signs, post-its, or detailed playlists making sure they remember their eye glasses to see what they wrote.
What cannot be choreographed is the feeling of how they play what they play--how they reach down and grab what they feel, they pain they have had, pull that out from deep inside, and turn that hurt into a powerful state, an offering if you will, to the higher power and authority that gives life to all.

"Hey, man," Mr. Jones called out after the Beersheva show. "Are you going to be at the Tel Aviv show on Friday?"
"Sorry; but it's Shabbat."
"Oh yeah; I forgot."
"It's okay. I came tonight to say goodbye until you come back. You saw Jerusalem; next time, I'm going to take you to the Galilee. I think you will like that. Meantime, God Bless you and your work."
"Thank you; and God Bless you, too." We hugged and parted.
It was as I suspected. Unlike the Mr. Jones of Robert Zimmerman's ballad, there was something happening there but this Mr. Jones was one of the few who did know what it is. Ain't that right, Mr. Zimmerman

He's a man who keeps his faith in God close to his chest.
