Thursday, November 11, 2010

Honors delayed but not denied

By Donald Sensing


Albert Caspers, 85, recently received his World War II medals. He has two purple hearts, a bronze star for bravery and 3 battle stars. His division, the 99th Infantry, was in the Battle of the Bulge among others.


Sixty-five years after earning two Purple Heart medals for wounds suffered in combat and a Bronze Star Medal for combat action, World War II infantryman Albert Caspers, 85, finally received his medals.
“I was talking about a year ago with a veteran’s service officer and he asked if I had ever been given the medals and I said I hadn’t, so he gave me some forms to fill out,” Caspers said. “That was last year and the Army finally sent me the medals.”

Although modest about discussing his wartime experiences, as Veterans Day approaches, Caspers says he’s proud to have the medals, which include two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and three Battle Stars, including one for the Battle of the Bulge.
Mr. Caspers, thank you for your service and sacrifice of your blood.

Bookmark and Share