British Muslim Maajid Nawaz writes,
I’m born and raised a Muslim and every single grievance that my fellow well-intentioned liberals are worried about that a Muslim may have, I have experienced. ...We Treat Radical Islam Like Voldemort — That's Bad for a Very Counterintuitive Reason
And when I say to these well-intentioned regressive leftists is that you’re good intentions in not having this conversation, not differentiating Islamism, Islamist extremism, the ideology briefly summarized as the desire to enforce a version of Islam over society — your intentions in not isolating Islamist extremism from the religion of Islam are making the problem worse, not better. It’s what I refer to as the Voldemort effect. ...
The Voldemort effect is increasing the hysteria. It’s one of the things I’m being very critical as a liberal about President [Barack] Obama’s policy in that he has succumbed to the Voldemort effect and he’s up until now unable to name the Islamist ideology.
And as Exhibit A, I give you the Obama White House, which deliberately censored French President Francois Hollande when he had the temerity to say the words, "Islamist terrorism" whilst attending a non-proliferation summit in Washington, D.C. The Telegraph (Australia's, not Britain's) reports,
On Thursday, Hollande told Barack Obama, “We are also making sure that between Europe and the United States there can be a very high level coordination. But we’re also well aware that the roots of terrorism, Islamist terrorism, is in Syria and in Iraq. We therefore have to act both in Syria and in Iraq, and this is what we’re doing within the framework of the coalition. And we note that Daesh is losing ground thanks to the strikes we’ve been able to launch with the coalition …”The boldfaced words spoken by President Hollande are absent in this, the video posted by the Obama White House itself. The sound cutout takes place at 4.48:
The Telegraph explains,
I would say, "unbelievable," except nothing this administration does is unbelievable any more.Instead of hearing Hollande’s interpreter translate the French president’s comments, the YouTube video’s audio cuts out and it is silent.The White House blamed the deletion on an audio problem, but Jim Treacher’s timeline tells a different story:This isn’t some sort of technical glitch. The White House posted the full audio and video of Hollande’s remarks, took it down, and put up this redacted version. They did this.