North Fort Myers resident Tony Aarts was playing golf there when an alligator suddenly appeared, grabbed his ankle and started dragging him into the water.
“As I was walking about 5 to 6 feet away from the water I heard a splash, and as soon as I heard that splash I knew it was an alligator, and he got me,” Aarts said.That actually didn't work so he started clubbing the gator on an eye. After three blows the predator let go and Aarts got away.
The gator grabbed Aarts by his right ankle. He wound up on his back and rolled into the nearby water hazard as they struggled.
“I remember having a club in my hand, and as soon as he had me in the water up to my waist, I started hitting him over the head,” Aarts said.
The putter Aarts used to beat off the gator was a Cleveland Golf model, maybe like this.
“I guess a golfer should always keep a club in his hand,” Aarts said.
Actually, they should have one of these strapped to their belt; it would work much quicker and with finality:
After all, when a few years ago my wife was attacked on a neighborhood street by a loose pit bull, I didn't wish I was carrying a golf club.
