Yesterday the frau and I went to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. I have never been a Corvette fan, actually, but after being there I can see why so many people are. Of course, that means they got to me just like they intended to!
It's a mere $10 to enter, parking is free, and active-duty military are admitted free. Vets get in for $8.
And for a mere sawbuck you can buy a raffle ticket for one of these:
Yes, I did. Side view:
I figured that since the car was red, it had to be a sign, right? Red is a twofer for me. One, it's the color of the US Field Artillery and two, the traditional color to represent the Holy Spirit. Two careers in one color!
How could I pass up a deal like this? The drawing is Sept. 2. The sticker price of this Vette is more than $73,000. The only problem with winning (the odds are remote) is that a total tax bill of more than $16,000 is due to claim the car.
You can view the upcoming raffles here. Some raffles are limited to 1,000 tickets, others to 1,500. But note that those raffles have vastly elevated ticket prices so buying all 1,000 tickets at $150 each will cost you twice as much as the sticker price of the car.
The main display room caved into a sinkhole in 2014, which swallowed eight 'Vettes. Six or seven were irreparable and five of them are on display in the same room.
This is the definition of totally destroyed:
However,
Of course, driving a Corvette will be a step down for me after driving an Indy car. I am in the middle car below, note that it is red also, of course.
Here is the security cam of the sinkhole opening up. It happened at night so no one was there, thankfully. It is still there and is very deep.
If you are really ambitious you can watch a 43-minute HD video of the recovery of the cars. Actually it is pretty interesting.




