Monday, August 21, 2017

What did you do during the eclipse, daddy?

By Donald Sensing

I stood by while my daughter, Elizabeth, took photos today with her Lumix camera. She set the camera to "fireworks" and covered the lens with a cut-to-fit solar lens, securing it with scotch tape. That's all there was to it! These were taken from our front yard.

I am including also one photo of Elizabeth because I am a proud papa. She left home a half hour after the eclipse with bags and baggage to move 35 miles away to begin her new career as a chemical engineer Aug. 22 at Ramboll Environ!

We got a little more than 2-1/2 minutes of totality and a fantastic view of the corona! Simply stunning! I was surprised by a couple of things. First, even in totality it did not get dark, just pretty dim. The horizon skyline was still significantly lit. I would not have needed headlights to drive. Second, when it was over, it was over very fast. Lighting went from dim to daytime almost like snapping your fingers. As I write the sun is still only a sliver as the moon moves away, but looking out my window it seems like full daytime.

Here are Elizabeth's pix:




 















 

Bookmark and Share