Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Heaping scorn is the basic purpose

By Donald Sensing

This meme was reposted on FB by a very liberal/Left colleague of mine.


I left this as a comment:
I agree with this altogether - except for the last paragraph. That is the real point of this meme, isn't it? To make sure that the speaker advertises how righteous he or she is. The first three paragraphs are true, but not really relevant. The real point of this meme is to heap scorn and self-righteous ridicule on others, to make one look good before a certain in-group. It is to virtue-signal, "I am one of you because I hate the same people you hate!"

But let's look at the first three grafs anyway. When I posted earlier that almost all of these things describe the background of every mass shooter at least since Columbine, citing independent sources that progressives usually cite for their own purposes (i.e., the LA Times and The Atlantic), I was assailed by the Left for not focusing on the REAL problem, which is "assault rifles." 
But now, apparently, those same traumas are perfectly valid to use to assail non-progressives and their presumed dismissal of homelessness and addiction. There is no call to come together in unity to turn back these traumas in the country, no invitation to grapple with them regardless of political inclination. Not at all. It's all nothing but a setup to announce, "I am better than you!"

This meme is incredibly offensive -- but actually, that is the real objective, isn't it?
Related: Why am I a conservative? "Because I know liberals. There is no grace there. No love there. Only hatred and judgment and pettiness." Written by a recovered liberal. 

Bookmark and Share