Just to show you how long The End Of Life As We Know It has been going on, here's report from 2004: "Giant tsunamis, super volcanoes and earthquakes could pose a greater threat than terrorism, scientists claim."
The potential threat that scientists currently have their eye on is an insecure rock - the size of the Isle of Man - in the Canary Island of La Palma.But the threat of asteroid collisions "will be essentially 'abolished within 30 years'." But no matter: there are still scores of ways the universe will kill us all. First there was the supernova and galaxy-attack scenarios. Then the predicted return of the comet Genondahwayanung, which pretty much annihilated most life in North America when it came here the first time. And then the massive gas cloud speeding toward a collision with the Milky Way! Then we learn that the earth's atmosphere may detonate. And then the asteroids. Then the black hole death stars! Then we'll be swallowed whole by the sun. Then the intense beam of gamma rays coming our way. Then there was the fear that "human society is very quickly headed to a violent and disturbing end." Then the earth began to kill people for changing its climate. The there is the voracious, galactic Hoover in Switzerland that will suck the whole planet into a black hole.
The rock is in the process of slipping into the sea and Professor McGuire fears that when it finally collapses, the resulting tsunami will cause massive destruction along the coasts of countries like the USA, UK and many on the African continent, within a matter of hours.
"Eventually the whole rock will collapse into the water, and the collapse - when it happens - will devastate the Atlantic margin," said Professor McGuire.
I tell ya, I'm starting to think that sooner or later, every one of us is going to wind up dead.
4 comments:
The La Palma tsunami is a load of hype, paid for by a company which sells tsunami insurance. The faults only 4 km long, and there's no evidence that it's particularly deep. More info at:
http://lapalmaisland.sheilacrosby.com/articles/tsunami.php
I remember sitting at a bus stop some place in Alaska (Valdez, maybe, I forget) looking across the street at a "tsunami escape route sign" and thinking: There are very few roads that go more than a few miles in all of Alaska. and the part we are sitting on is very flat. I wonder if in following that sign we would run our of "flat" before we run out of road.
TEOLAWKI....I like it. I don't know if the acronym is orignated here, but I'll be using it from now on.
Allen In Fort Worth (AIFW)
As a documented descendant of the honored Shawnee chieftain Teolawki, I am hurt and deeply offended at the vulgar misuse of my revered ancestor's good name. May the Great Spirit refrain from blessing your website with numerous and interesting visitors.
Post a Comment