Sunday, July 19, 2009

"If America socializes medicine . . .

By Donald Sensing

... where will Canadians go?"

2 comments:

Tregonsee said...

I used to travel extensively, and spent 2-3 days a month in Canada. I would sometimes get an unsolicited lecture on the joys of single payer. My reply was always a polite comment that in my experience Canadians are very practical people. This was followed by a discussion on the facts of their system, including a provincial Supreme Court ruling that "access to a waiting list was not access to health care." I finishing with some facts on how many Canadians as individuals, and in many cases as cities or provinces, used US facilities for timely care. Usually at this point they were gasping since they were use to adulation from Americans about their system. My final questions was, as Canadians, why they would want us to do to our system what they had done to their own? And if we did, where would they go for treatment? Mexico? Cuba? I don't recall anyone ever bring the subject up twice.

data345 said...

I've been thinking about where Americans will go. I wonder if the good doctors will move to Mexico? When crossing the border into Tijuana, I have pharmacies that cater to Americans (many of those drugs are illegal in the U.S., of course) and dentists as well.

Many American uninsured go to India because the quality is comparable to the U.S. but at a much lower price (U.S. liabilty laws add to the price of medical care as do the mandated insurance laws). Even when factoring in the price of travel, many procedures are still cheaper.