Sunday, July 11, 2010

Netherlands deserved to lose

By Donald Sensing

I saw most the the World Cup final game on TV. I started off rooting for Netherlands but was cheering for Spain long before the end. Netherlands deserved to lose. Their play was the dirtiest I have ever seen. For example:


This AP photo is cutlined,
Netherlands' Nigel de Jong, left, fouls Spain's Xabi Alonso during the World Cup final soccer match between the Netherlands and Spain at Soccer City in Johannesburg, South Africa, Sunday, July 11, 2010. (AP Photo/Daniel Ochoa de Olza)
I remember this play. Heck, it wasn't a "play," it was a mugging. De Jong just plain put a kung fu kick on Alonso square in Alonso's chest. Going for the ball? Not even close. This was a deliberate attempt to take Alonso out of the game. See it on the highlight reel at ESPN.

The ref was liberal with yellow cards against Netherlands, which wound up with A finals-record 14 yellows and which finally drew a red card for a foul during Spain's play on the goal. That card sealed Netherland's loss, and I wonder what took the ref so long - one of the Dutch players had seven yellows by himself (another record).

With red-carded Dutch player John Heitinga off the field - and his position empty - it was not long before Spain exploited the hole and drove home the only goal of the game by Andrés Iniesta in the 116th minute of the game. Justice was done.

English referee Howard Webb has already come under criticism for issuing too many yellow cards. His critics say he was too quick to show the card. I say he was too slow and was amply forebearing. I fault him not for too many yellows, but not enough reds. In playoff games, the yellow is a real penalty. It doesn't take the player out of the game but it does mean he can't play the next game.

But in the championship game, what does a yellow card mean? Pretty much nothing. There is no next game. The Dutch knew this, of course, and apparently figured they had nothing to lose by being as physically offensive as they could get away with, and Webb let them get away with plenty. National Post reports,
Heitinga was most obstinate, throwing himself into passing and shooting lanes. The 26 year old made himself a pest particularly for Iniesta. As Iniesta darted between the Dutch defenders, Heitinga kept close watch, but in the 109th minute he was too close. Iniesta collapsed under a soft challenge, Heitinga’s softest of the game, but referee Webb showed no remorse.
Was there Oscar-caliber acting by Iniesta? Of course. And of course any experienced ref knows to ignore theatrics after the foul. The play for which Heitinga was ejected was not much and I was surprised at his ejection for it, but he should have seen red long before then, anyway.

Good for Spain, and tough luck, Netherlands, but no tears fall here for your early bedtime last night.