Monday, March 13, 2017

What I want for my birthday

By Donald Sensing

I gotta get me one of these!



The design has been around since the 1970s. It is a kit; some owners build them themselves, others pay someone to do it who already knows how. I scanned message boards about the plane and saw that for some reason owners who built it themselves said that it took years to do so. Of course, that's part time and presumably they paid as they went. I assume that a full-time assembler who knew what he was doing would require mere weeks, maybe less.

The plane comes in both propeller and jet. More accurately, the owner decides what propulsion he wants and fits it, within limits of course. It seems that the two jet engines on this model (which I definitely would want) cost about $4,000 each, but what the heck. Commonly, the prop versions only have a few dozen horsepower combined, sometimes as few as 30. And they still cruise at 115 mph.

I learned to fly when I was only 21, but have not piloted an aircraft in many, many years. But jeepers, does this look great!

More here.


Update: One of this machine would be really nice, too.



More on this device:
What is it?
The Flyboard Air is an “independent propulsion unit,” Zapata says, with the ability to fly up to 10,000 feet high. A real-life hoverboard.

How does it work?
It is powered by four engines of 250 horsepower each. Similar to the original Flyboard, the flyer can control the direction of the board with their feet. However, A “logic system” is built into the Flyboard Air containing a series of algorithms to assist the flyer with stabilization. The flyer also wears a backpack full of kerosene, jet fuel, to give them ten minutes of flight time.
One thousand hp is only 200 less than the famous US Navy F4F Wildcat fighter of early World War 2, and 60 hp more than the Wildcat's chief enemy, the fabled Japanese Zero. With 1,000 hp aboard I can well believe the Flyboard will reach 10,000 feet, although with only 10 minutes or so of flight time I sure would not risk it! Also, its top speed of 100 kph (about 62 mph) is more than a vertical, unprotected pilot can withstand. The inventor, Franky Zapata, said he "hit the wall" of forward speed at 55 kph, or about 35 mph.

Fuel duration is of course set by throttle openings, so low altitude and slow speeds yield longer flights than gaining altitude and going fast, just like any other aircraft. Presently, though, the Flyboard Air is not on the market. Zapata says it takes at least 120 hours to learn to fly, which is a lot more than a private pilot's license! It is receiving some attention from the Defense Dept., though. There is also said to be a sit-down version in development.

My wife does not support me getting one.

Bookmark and Share