Trump's proposal to slash benefits for veterans 'dead on arrival' in Congress
It is a proposal in his budget to cut veterans' disability funding by many billions of dollars over the next 10 years. Of course I oppose it because I think that my slice of the pie must be protected at all costs. You can cut food stamps to the poor, unemployment payouts, subsidies to businesses, etc., all you want. But leave my benefits alone.
Money, get back
I'm all right, Jack, keep your hands off of my stack. ...
Money, it's a crime.Back in the 1990s I was stationed at the Pentagon. There was a high-powered DC lobbyist I came to know socially. He had served on the staff of the Reagan White House. Twenty-five years ago he explained why the federal budget will never be cut in real terms:
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie.
"Every person in America is a member of at least one special-interest group."
And that is why the VFW and Amvets, whose members surely agree, to 90 percent or so at least, that the federal budget must be cut, oppose this proposal. It slices their members' pie.
The VFW has coordinated with other major veterans organizations to oppose the proposal, Fuentes said.Yup. And the insight of my lobbyist friend is yet again proven empirically verifiable.
AMVETS, one of the nation's largest veterans advocacy organizations, called the proposal "stealing."
"Such a misguided move would wrongly take away about $1,200 a month from a single veteran rated at 90 percent disabled and already determined to be unable to work because or his or her military service," the organization said in a statement last month.
Take it away, Pink Floyd!
